November 15th, 2016 | Debbie Lamb, Sterling Talent Solutions
Growing New Employee Satisfaction With Onboarding Basics
How was the first day on your job? If it wasn’t memorable, then something could be wrong. Making a great first impression to a new employee will have a lasting effect. In fact, most employees decide whether or not to stay at a new job within their first six months. Effective onboarding tells a cohesive compelling employer brand story. It engages & socializes the new hire from the beginning. It provides the skills, knowledge and tools your new employee needs to become a productive, successful team member.
Solid new employee onboarding programs will have a positive impact your business’s bottom line. It will help an organization attract and retain the best talent and empowers the human resources team to focus on finding, recruiting and securing the best talent for the company.
Onboarding 101 Tips
It is very important to have your new employee start off on the right foot. The Aberdeen Group reported in a study that 66% of companies with onboarding programs claimed a higher rate of successful assimilation into company culture. The follow suggestions are some easy to implement tips to create an effective onboarding process:
- Create a Warm Welcome: Assign someone to meet the new employee on their first day, give them a tour, introduce them to the other team members and arrange a team lunch. This person could be the new employee’s manager or a mentor that has been designated to help in the training process.
- Provide the Proper Tools: Each job will have specific tools that will be needed from the new employee from a laptop to a hard hat. Make sure new employees are provided the tools that they need to do their job on their first day.
- Automate Forms: Send the new employee the required employment forms, such as W4 or Form I-9, benefit information and emergency contact forms, so they can fill them out before the first day on the job.
- Meet the Team: Schedule one-on-one meetings with key team members and management on the first day. This allows the new employee to learn about their new co-workers as well as their roles within the company.
- First Day Meaningful Task: Give the new employee a task to complete on the first day. This will help them feel like they are working towards the goals of the company as well as being challenged on their first day.
- Touchpoint Meetings: Schedule regular meetings over the first six months of employment to make sure the new employee is thriving in their new role.
Sterling Talent Solutions Onboarding Platform
Having the right unified online human resources system will help companies streamline and improve the onboarding experience. Sterling Talent Solutions’ secure onboarding platform will help HR departments personally connect with new hires without sacrificing company standards. The platforms allows new hires to complete and sign forms, such as the Form I-9 or W-4, review the employee handbook, learn about company benefits and learn about company branding and culture in one place. Sterling Talent Solutions provides the best onboarding platform so human resources professionals can be freed up to focus on more people-oriented tasks while ensuring compliance and electronically managing all required hiring forms to create a consistent, error-free process.
Learn more about transforming your company’s onboarding process from a cumbersome paper-laden process to one that engages top talent with our Power Through Onboarding Basics informational sheet.
This publication is for informational purposes only and nothing contained in it should be construed as legal advice. We expressly disclaim any warranty or responsibility for damages arising out this information. We encourage you to consult with legal counsel regarding your specific needs. We do not undertake any duty to update previously posted materials.